2013-02-14

1BR Now - 24 Hours of Dancing Against Violence

Is there anyone which has not heard about this event? If not, here a short information:

Center Stage

About One Billion Rising
One in three women on the planet is raped or beaten in her lifetime. That is ONE BILLION WOMEN violated. One billion daughters, mothers, grandmothers, sisters, lovers and friends. On February 14, 2013, V-Day's 15th Anniversary, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence. ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men to dance across every country. For more information go to http://www.onebillionrising.org/.

When Honour McMillan gave me the link to the related song, I was really moved:


The SL version is wonderful, because it shows the broadness of our virtual world:


On four sims is today a center stage with 24 hours of music and dance.it started at 12 AM SLT. Find the schedule here: http://onebillionrisingsl.wordpress.com/event-schedule/

Kicca Igaly
Around the center, 18 artists placed installations, which are worth to be seen:

SOLKIDE AUER – Italy
GWEN CARRILON – USA
GIOVANNA CERISE – Italy
KICCA IGALY – Italy
GRACIE KENDAL – USA
EM LARSSON – Canada
MEILO MINATAUR & CAPCAT RAGU – Portugal
DACO MONDAY – Italy
ROMY NAYAR – Spain/France
HAVEIT NEOX – USA
NESSUNO MYOO – Italy
BRYN OH – Canada
MAYA PARIS – UK
RAG RANDT – USA
LORIN TONE – USA
EUPALINOS UGAJIN – Jupiter
NOKE YUITZA – Spain

Maya Paris

For more informations, go here:  http://onebillionrisingsl.wordpress.com/home/ or read the excellent blog of Daniel Voyager: http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/

Haveit Neox
I was moved by the project, because just pointing to the 'bad men' will not change anything. And this video does better, it reminds of the female strength  What we need for a better world are women with self confidence, equal rights, equal payment and economical independence. I saw too often that women not even dare to contradict men, to me the root of all pain. And here I think we need to wake up parents and teachers, what their part of the bad game is. And not to forget the huge religions, especially Islam and Christianity, which are represented by men who fully support the suppression of women. A text of a man, who was the result of his mothers rape, brought me to tears recently. How can a religion that talks about benevolence forbid an abortion after a rape and ruin mother's and  child's life with it?

CapCat Ragu + Milo Minotaur
But sadly these religions are also supported by women, who love to follow. Isn't it sick, that women torture their own daughters with genital mutilation? And here I come to a point that is important for me to express:

Women are not better humans, they are just physically weaker and trained to obey men!

Who is talking about abuse of male children? Who is talking about violent and loveless mothers? Who is talking about verbal violence? Do you know that in 66% of mobbing cases, women are the offenders? Most likely as bosses. If you consider that we sadly still have not enough women in higher management positions you can see, that verbal violence by women is a serious problem. Mobbing can be found very often in companies with only women. Can you imagine that men go on the streets to dance for a better treatment by women? The world would laugh about them. And by the way, circumcision of a male child is clearly injury too. I hate the word tradition when it is it used to excuse barbarism.

Daco Monday
I was all my life a supporter of women's lib and I still think, it is still a long way to be finished. But more and more I understood that the male's role in a new world is still unclear. The expectations against men by women are endless nowadays. Even the most successful friend I have is searching for a man "to look up". Of course, she is still single with 40. Superman, more successful and smarter than her, did not show up. What regularly is upsetting me are housewives which enjoy a luxury life because of his success in business, but complain endlessly that their men have so few time for the family. And I know loads of them.

Romy Nayar
The trickiest problem is sexual assault. Of course that is not acceptable. But where are the borders? Love, sex and political correctness never will go along well. We just had a scandal in Germany. An older politician gave a young female journalist in a bar a quite personal compliment about her shape. She wrote about it in a magazine and that caused a huge discussion. Women still expect men to do the first step. But when it is the wrong man, it fast can be seen as sexual offending. The judgement is completely subjective by the woman's choice. I am sure if  Brad Pitt or George Clooney had said the same instead of the politician  she would have been excited.

I like men and I enjoy to live and work with men, although I met some assholes in my life too. It is known that companies with a mixed management are more successful. I don't want a world where men and women can't work, go for a drink together or even use the same elevator, just because every man is suspected to be a violator. That vision is pure horror to me!

Let's dance for equal rights, values, independence and understanding today!


Taxi: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/OBR%20Rise/130/171/22

2 comments:

haveit neox said...

Quan, I appreciate your holistic viewpoint on this subject. It is refreshing to me when people go deeper than the book’s cover, exploring overlooked angles. There’s a long way to go, human rights growing slowly a century at a time. You summed it up: “Let’s dance for equal rights, values, independence and understanding today!”

pallina60 Loon said...

It was the day that I thought .... I go? I do not go? Initially I thought not to participate because I was wondering what would be served. In my head, this dance would not save anyone, man or woman, from being abused today, tomorrow and forever. And then I read this in the blog by Quan Lavender quanlavender.blogspot.it/2013/02/1br-now-24-hours-of-danc... and watched the official video. Something has happened to me. An inner voice told me: 'Go you, go and tell with your presence, that violence ..... ALL violence in general, can score an entire life. And you know it. "
I will never forgive the psychological violence that my father did to me from an early age, because of ignorance and alcohol abuse that he has done in his life.
I'm here now, I will not do any dancing because I like to dance when I have moments of joy and happiness and this moment is the moment of remembrance of my pain.
Thanks Quan